Dock has been developing secure and scalable verifiable credential technology since 2017.
- BurstIQ implemented Dock’s verifiable credential technology to make their workforce data secure, portable, and verifiable
- Verifiable credentials and blockchain technology play a key role in enabling user privacy and control of their data
- BurstIQ is transforming workforce data into verifiable credentials that are used for a variety of use cases including enabling individuals to own and control their data, verifying skills and experiences, and enhancing employee experiences.
BurstIQ’s LifeGraph platform simplifies the management of extensive, confidential human data and gives businesses the ability to comply with people’s data rights while creating hyper-personalized digital experiences. BurstIQ implemented Dock’s technology in order to turn any workforce data into a verifiable credential that is portable and secure.
We'll go over three use cases where BurstIQ is leveraging verifiable credentials.
How BurstIQ Makes Workforce Data Verifiable, Secure, and Portable With Dock’s Verifiable Credential Solutions
BurstIQ is a platform that gives organizations the ability to build health apps, work apps, life apps, and data exchanges. Verifiable credentials enable BurstIQ to manage LifeGraph data and securely share that data with any third party within and outside of their system in a way that can truly be trusted by the recipient. The recipients can see the signed and attested data.
Verifiable credentials are a digital, cryptographically secured version of both paper and digital credentials that people can present to organizations that need them for verification. A LifeGraph is a digital expression about people’s, places, and things and how this data interacts with other people, places, and things. The data is turned into smart data that can be packaged up as Verifiable credentials and shared with relevant parties within and outside of the LifeGraph system.
Dock’s verifiable credential technology solutions include our Certs API and Dock Certs platform which have advanced privacy preserving strategies. BurstIQ chose Dock over other providers because our verifiable credential technology was:
- Easy to use and integrate in their system
- Fast to deploy (within 2 months)
When the Dock and BurstIQ leaders met, there was an immediate chemistry over the shared values and vision that verifiable credentials shouldn’t just capture singular events like a degree, but reflect a person’s lifelong learning journey and all the skills acquired along the way.
Below are a few use case examples that demonstrate how verifiable credentials are being used by BurstIQ.
BurstIQ Use Case #1: Individual Ownership and Control of Data
This is an example of how Clarinda, who is a nurse, uses applications powered by LifeGraph to easily manage and securely share her data.
- Clarinda logs into the system.
- Here is Clarinda’s homepage. She has many applications and services that she uses that are powered by LifeGraph.
- When we go to her core profile, it shows all of the data that Clarinda has in her LifeGraph, including her licenses and certifications.
- All of the data is signed, attested, and verified. When we click on a license, you can see that it was checked by a verification company.
- When you click on “SHOW PROOF,” you can see all of the signings and attestations of the data confirming that it hasn’t been altered and that it is trustworthy. BurstIQ manages trust by using blockchain technology to provide the mechanisms for that data to be verified by a trusted entity or system generating the data.
- Clarinda can securely share the data with an employer or someone else.
- You can see all the different types of data she can share from her profile. She can choose which parts she wants to share.
- Once she makes her selections, she can choose to package up the data as a verified credential or a PDF export, which is where Dock’s technology is applied. The verified credential will include the data and the third party verifications as a JSON file, which is a type of computer file that contains structured data.
It will be exported as a zip file on her local drive.
BurstIQ Use Case #2: Verifying Skills and Experiences
- BurstIQ used Dock’s technology to help the company Lifetrek develop their product. Lifetrek creates skill-based verifiable credentials that are shareable, signed, and trusted. Here are all of the verified credentials that Clarinda has acquired over the course of her career either on the job or through various types of training:
- Each skill is associated with a verified credential.
- If we click on her Written Communication VC to see more detail, you can see what level she has acquired in that skill and what she’s done to get there. She could download the VC in JSON to share with someone else’s wallet, an employer, or a prospective employer. She can do so with the privacy and security that’s inherent to LifeGraph.
The Importance of Properly Verifying Health Care Experience and Skills
When Dr. Charles needed to hire staff, she was not able to tell if candidates were really qualified for a role just by judging from their resumes and interviews. Many candidates often said they had the appropriate experience, but she only found out later while they were doing the job that they weren’t as qualified as they came across during the hiring process. The consequences of hiring an unqualified person could result in harmed patients.
She wishes that more employers, training institutions, and educational institutions were issuing verifiable credentials. If this happened, she would have more trust and confidence in a candidate’s abilities in the hiring process. If there were two candidates who had similar presentations in their resumes and interviews, she would hire the one with Verifiable Credentials.
BurstIQ Care Use Case #3: Enhancing Employee Experiences
Burnout is a major problem in the health care industry and turnover affects organizations’ ability to deliver health care. It is also very expensive to replace and retrain nurses. The average cost of turnover for a bedside nurse ranges from $28,000 to $51,000 USD and the scale of this turnover across the health care industry costs about 6.5 million USD per year.
To address this issue, BurstIQ is partnering with a major university to help develop personalized digital experiences for nurses by designing LifeGraphs for them. LifeGraphs give nurses full control of how their personal data is being used and they can share data however they feel is appropriate.
With verifiable credentials, health care organizations can develop insight about their staff to address the issues leading to burnout to improve retention, upskill the new generation of nurses, efficiently record their skills and experiences, and build more trustworthy employee experiences.
Where Dock Fits Into BurstIQ’s System
People build their apps on top of LifeGraph technology. Because their layer 1 is a BurstIQ product that interacts with other types of blockchains, including Dock, interoperability is important when the company works with a partner.
Dock’s integration enables BurstIQ to provide decentralized identities to any LifeGraph and decentralized identity becomes the foundation of the verifiable credentials they can produce for skills, employment records, and so on.
- Webinar: Blockchain in Healthcare with Dr. Wendy Charles, BurstIQ’s Chief Scientific Officer
- Webinar: Demo of how BurstIQ is using Verifiable Credentials to ensure data portability and integrity
- Press release: BurstIQ's LifeGraph Toolkit Expands to Include Verifiable Credentials Solution by Dock Labs
- Guide: Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs)
- Guide: Data Compliance
Dock’s Verifiable Credential platform makes any data fraud-proof and instantly verifiable. It comprises the Certs API, the Certs no-code web app, an ID wallet and a dedicated blockchain. Using Dock, organizations reduce data verification costs while increasing the operational efficiency of verifying and issuing digital credentials. Individuals can fully control their data to access products and services more conveniently in a privacy-preserving way. Dock has been a leader in decentralized digital identity technology since 2017 and trusted by organizations in diverse sectors, including healthcare, finance, and education.
Partner Use Cases
- SEVENmile issues fraud-proof verifiable certificates using Dock
- BurstIQ Makes Health Data Verifiable, Secure, and Portable With Dock
- Gravity eliminates Health & Safety certificate fraud with Dock
- How to Prevent Supply Chain Fraud With Blockchain
- BurstIQ Use Cases That Leverage Verifiable Credentials
- Blockchain Food Traceability: Enhancing Transparency and Safety
- How to Prevent Certificate Fraud
- Decentralized Identity
- Self-Sovereign Identity
- Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs)
- Web3 Identity
- Blockchain Identity Management
- Selective Disclosure